• Our neighborhood is part of the Residential Parking Program. Restricted parking zones are consistently enforced on weekdays from 8 am to 6 pm.
  • Homeowners, renters, and residents of group housing are eligible for parking permits, which allow them to park in these zones for unlimited periods of time.  Permits can be purchased at the City Center Building, 220 E. Huron (diagonally across from city hall). Call 794-6942 for details.
  • Residential Parking Permits

Sidewalk Safety and Snow Removal

  • Sidewalks must be kept clear of broken glass, garbage, leaves, snow and ice.
  • Property owners are responsible for clearing snow from sidewalks within 24 hours or city fees will be assessed.
  • Property owners are responsible for maintaining sidewalks so that they are free of hazards to pedestrians from cracks or heaving.
  • Violations which cannot be resolved neighbor-to neighbor, should be reported to the Community Standards Office at 794-6921


  • Loud noise and music is prohibited between 10 pm and 7am.
  • Violations which cannot be resolved neighbor to neighbor should be reported to the police non-emergency car response line at 994-2911.
  • Violations are punishable by a fine of $50.00 to $500.00, increasing with repeated offenses.

Reporting community standards ordinance violations

  • Most issues can be avoided or resolved by pro-actively getting to know your neighbors and communicating concerns directly and immediately. However, when neighbor-to-neighbor resolution of trash, noise or other issues is not satisfactory, the city Community Standards Office or the Police non-emergency car response lines should be contacted. These services are very responsive and will issue citations and fines, which go up with each offense, will be assessed. Calling also documents where repeat offenses are taking place and helps justify escalating actions.
  • If violations are being committed by renters, contacting the landlords directly and making them aware of the issues will often get resolution. Most landlords want to maintain community standards as it is in their self-interest to be good neighbors and solve problems to avoid potential fines.  If their number is not on the front of the offending house, then you can find out the property owner’s name and address from the city tax rolls online, and get the number from the phonebook or online. If violations are being committed by members of a campus fraternity, contacting the fraternity president or community relations officer will often get resolution.
  • The city system of “corrective action” works well if you are proactive. The numbers to contact are:
    Community Standards Office 794-6921
    Non-emergency Police Car Response 994-2911